Well hello there.
It's been awhile, I know. Instead of doing an apologies/explanation/promises re-entry, I'm just gonna hop right in. And I decided a delicious smoothie recipe is as good a reason as any to jump back in and pick things up.
When I was in a serious smoothie phase, I started to make up my own recipes and flavor combos and I created one that has become my favorite refreshing go-to choice, especially in summer. It wasn't until I was fighting a cold (flu maybe? not sure) this last weekend that I found myself craving one, and realized that most of the ingredients I include in it are great for the immune system. This smoothie is tart, sweet, citrus-y, and super satisfying. Here's what's in it:
- 1 frozen banana (peeled and broken into smaller chunks)
- 1/4 cup of frozen cherries
- Fresh squeezed juice from 1 orange (or just use orange juice)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 chunk of fresh ginger (with the skin peeled off. Use a smaller piece if you want it less "spicy")
- 1 cup water (or sub grapefruit LaCriox or any other sparkling water if you want an extra zip to it)
- Ice if your fruit isn't frozen or you want it extra cold
- Optional add-in's:
- Unflavored protein powder of choice (when I'm not feeling very vegan-y, my protein powder of choice is Vital Proteins)
- Chia seeds
- Turmeric (+ a dash of black pepper for better absorption)
Throw everything in a blender (don't stress about the amounts, you can't really mess it up), blend it up, and in less than 5 minutes you'll have a delicious smoothie that has lots of immunity-boosting properties to it as well. I'm obsessed with knowing the benefits of the different foods I put in my body, so in case you are too, here's what you'll be getting from each of the ingredients in this smoothie:
- Banana = high in potassium and fiber
- Cherries = high source of antioxidants and are anti-inflammatory
- Orange juice = high in Vitamin C and good source of fiber
- Lemon juice = alkaline food that balances the pH in your body, also a good source of Vitamin C
- Fresh ginger = helps with digestion, anti-inflammatory, and about a million more benefits seen here
- Flaxseeds (whole or ground) = high in fiber and antioxidants, helps with digestion
- Chia seeds = good source of fiber and protein, and also contain zinc (key in battling any sickness)
- Turmeric = natural anti-inflammatory and tons more benefits (seen here, including importance of combining it with black pepper)
I'm not a health expert, and I know this smoothie is pretty high in natural sugar, so if you're looking for a low-glycemic recipe, this probably isn't it. But overall, this smoothie has lots of goods in it, and is mega yummy, so if you want an excuse to drink something delicious when you're getting sick, let this be it ;) Enjoy!