I headed out to Palm Desert to celebrate Christmas with my parents and Grandad, with my brother and SIL joining us on Monday for a day. It was so gorgeous out there and I feel so blessed to have such a loving and generous family. It may not have been a white Christmas, but I didn't feel the need to be upset as I was laying poolside soaking up the sun. Life is good. I love being back in CA :)
We love you Grandad!
My dad made this for my mom. A kitchen makeover that he presented in an Extreme Home Makeover way. Such a good gift giver.
Met up with my friend Tara for a little pool day
Matching scarves for 3
About as close as the furry cousins would get to one another
Iced spicy chai mix from Trader Joe's = dang good
A little El Paseo (fantasy) shopping
A necklace I picked out with a gift certificate I had
All pics taken with my iPhone. One of these days I'll start using my camera again...
I hope you had wonderful weekends with your family and loved ones! I'd love to hear the best part about your Christmas or holidays!!
I'm off to Palm Desert for Christmas to be with my family and the glorious non-Christmasy, 72 degrees weather. I hope you all have the most wonderful Christmas weekends and I will see you lovelies next week!!
Just a few fun sparkly things to get you in the mood for holiday parties (if you have any left), and NYE! I saw Elizabeth from Spike the Punch post those glitterati temporary lip tattoos on instagram and was intrigued. So I looked them up and they actually look pretty cool! Would you try them? Have any parties left that you need to get dressed up for? I'm headed to a party tonight and will be wearing a sequin dress that I'm kind of excited about, but don't know what I'll be wearing for NYE yet. Hope you're enjoying this sparkly season!!
5. Hope Pendant Necklace ($25) Made by survivors of slavery in order to provide economic empowerment and education to those who have been freed from slavery
6. A goat through World Vision ($75) Provides families with healthy milk, cheese, and yogurt. Also gives families an income boost by being able to sell the products at the market. Lots more gifts like this available through World Vision here
7. Vathi Punjammies by International Princess Project ($35) Made by women who have been rescued out of sex trafficking. Read the story here
Our family started a tradition several years back of choosing items out of the World Vision catalog to give to one another in lieu of an excess of gifts we didn't need. It has grown and changed over the years, but has absolutely become a highlight of our Christmases. To watch my Dad find creative ways to donate to my mom's already generous mission of helping others, and see my brother and his wife choose to forgo gifts in order to have people donate to the charity of their choice melts my selfish heart more and more each year. We have been so blessed. And I am incredibly thankful for a family who has shown me what it looks like to give back with grateful and joyful attitudes.
So here are a few causes that are close to my heart, but I know there are many more out there. So maybe you and your family can come up with fun and unique ways to give back as well this year. Let me know if you already do something similar or what some of your favorite causes are in the comments below.
Seeing this verse on my nightly walk after reading it that morning as well. I think God's trying to tell me something, and I like it :)
Mint + silver glitter polka dots. Like mini ornaments.
K so this has a quick story to it. I was invited to an ugly Christmas sweater party last night so I headed to Goodwill in search of something hideous. Instead I found this GEM of a gold sequin trench coat for $19.99. At first I thought it was ridiculous to buy such a thing, now I am in love. So I threw it over pleather leggings, glitter heels, an ornament necklace and earrings, added a side ponytail and a bow headband and called it good! (Confession: I don't think anything about this is ugly, I would wear this in public - well maybe minus the earrings - if I wouldn't be shunned by society).
I may have been a little overdressed for this party. And by a little I mean picture the scene from Legally Blonde when she shows up to a non-costume party dressed as a bunny and you'll kind of have an idea of what I experienced. Hey sometimes you just gotta shine right?
Boat parade around the island!
What fun Christmas-y, holiday-ish things have you guys been doing lately??
I put together a little holiday gift guide for you guys in case you still have most of your Christmas shopping to do like someone I know, need some fun ideas for hostess gifts, or just want to add everything to your own list (that might have been what I did). I chose items that I love to get, don't break the bank, and are a pretty safe bet to give for the most part. I might put out a couple more rounds of guides, but let's get it started with this one!
1. Wine ($14) I'm a sucker for cute names and pretty labels (like this one) and when wrapped up all pretty (Target has really great wine gift bags) they make a pretty, and useful gift. Champagne is fun to give when you're going to a party as well.
2. Convertible Mittens ($11.50) For a warm winter gift set, wrap up a pair of mittens and a matching scarf or knit headband to go with it.
4. Spike the Punch Necklace ($36) Sassy and affordable, I'm pretty sure most girls have these on her wish list this year. Or load up on fun and cheap accessories from Forever and wrap them up in a cute sparkly clutch (see #5)
5. Pearl Clutch ($15) Makes for a fun gift by itself, or a clever way to wrap up smaller presents as well.
6. Fancy Love Perfume by Jessica Simpson ($42) Usually I'd argue that perfume is a pretty personal choice, but honestly this one is loved by everyone. I have never been complimented more by boys, girls, and random strangers on how I smell than when I'm wearing this perfume. Plus it's less expensive than most brands. So just get it, trust me on this one.
7. Romper PJs ($13) I love getting cute PJ sets as gifts! Whether it's a matching tank and shorts, pretty PJ pants, or sassy camisole and matching boy shorts, most girls love sleeping cute :)
8. Glitter Nail Polish "Shake Your Groove Thing" by Deborah Lippmann ($18) Obviously a gift guide isn't complete without some sort of sparkly goodness for your nails (or non-glitter polish works too). Deborah Lippmann colors make great gifts since they're more of a special treat and every color is amazing. But you could also throw in 6 Forever 21 nail polishes for the same price and I'd be pretty happy too.
Hope that gives you some ideas! Only 10 more days till Christmas!!
So I thought I'd share a little before and after of my new room! It's not completely finished, but all the main stuff is there and I'm sure I'll post an update later when I get more pictures hung, accessories figured out, etc. I also will share some daytime pics of the completed room but these should do for now :)
Before. The first thing I knew I needed to change was the paint color. Then I knew I would need new window treatments as well. Oh and yes that is a fireplace in my room! Rather strange but kind of charming. I've only used it once so far...
Before. My main closet is in the bathroom actually and that room on the right is a second little closet. Lots of storage room in here which is great. I plan on putting a curtain above the door on the right so kitty can come and go as she pleases but I won't have to stare at her little room every day.
Before (still need to find a new curtain for the window on the door)
With my kitty the professional model
She kills me
Also, I have 9 pillows on my bed. Seems excessive.
My little reading nook. Searching for a cute ottoman! I would love a black and white cow print one.
I like plants in rooms. Well this is in my bathroom and it's fake (plant and vase are from IKEA) but it still cheers things up!
Saw this idea on Pinterest somewhere and am definitely a fan. Use a jar to store cotton balls and place a cup inside to hold q-tips!
Model kitty strikes again
I decided to rest my mirror on my shelf instead of hang it for now. Mostly because I would need to have someone come and hang it for me and that just sounds too difficult
I love the gray color I found so much. Honestly paint makes the biggest difference in a room! And thanks to my friend Pat for helping me paint!
I will be doing something about that cord situation, don't you worry
Really the only place my desk could go
So there you have it! It feels so good to have a cozy space that I love to be in and that fits my personality. Can't wait for some final touches and most of all for friends to come and visit me!