1. Dember scarf by fashionABLE ($32) Purchase of these scarves provides sustainable business for women in Africa that have been exploited due to the effects of poverty
2. The Rose Bracelet by Invisible Children ($95) A symbol for women in Central Africa trapped in abuse
3. Hello Somebody watches ($25) Hello Somebody partners with Africa New Life in Rwanda to feed and educate street children. Read more here
4. Lucky Girls nail polish by Lex ($10) Proceeds from this color will be donated to a girls orphanage in India
5. Hope Pendant Necklace ($25) Made by survivors of slavery in order to provide economic empowerment and education to those who have been freed from slavery
6. A goat through World Vision ($75) Provides families with healthy milk, cheese, and yogurt. Also gives families an income boost by being able to sell the products at the market. Lots more gifts like this available through World Vision here
7. Vathi Punjammies by International Princess Project ($35) Made by women who have been rescued out of sex trafficking. Read the story here
Our family started a tradition several years back of choosing items out of the World Vision catalog to give to one another in lieu of an excess of gifts we didn't need. It has grown and changed over the years, but has absolutely become a highlight of our Christmases. To watch my Dad find creative ways to donate to my mom's already generous mission of helping others, and see my brother and his wife choose to forgo gifts in order to have people donate to the charity of their choice melts my selfish heart more and more each year. We have been so blessed. And I am incredibly thankful for a family who has shown me what it looks like to give back with grateful and joyful attitudes.
So here are a few causes that are close to my heart, but I know there are many more out there. So maybe you and your family can come up with fun and unique ways to give back as well this year. Let me know if you already do something similar or what some of your favorite causes are in the comments below.